Tuesday, April 17, 2012

We're back!


Whenever I return from Africa I find myself at a total loss for words - how to summarize it all?

Since pictures are worth 1000 words, I tried to choose 5 pictures that would help me with my summary. Here goes nothin'…



I travelled with Wendy and Heather. When we arrived at the airport, our flight was cancelled. We made a split-second decision to go to Paris. This ended up being a great decision. We spent an amazing day in Paris. God's blessing was just shining down on us all day. I look back on the memory of this day as one of my fondest memories from the entire trip.

I got my boy. We was waiting for me at the airport and he never left my side the entire trip. What a feeling to know that when it was time to leave, he was coming with me!

We got to love on some other friends. Here is Biruk with our sponsor son, Anwar (center) and Henok (right). Heather also spent lots of time with her daughter Merima, we spent time with Sene (Wendy's sponsor son), Ayalew (Renee's son), and got to share laughs with many of our old friends. This was my 4th time to Ethiopia - having gone once per year since 2009 - my new friends have become old friends. It's was so great to be able to share memories and laughs together.

Biruk got to say goodbye. No tears. Just joy. He said goodbye to his first family (uncle, brother, sister) who I was beyond thrilled to meet, and also his friends at the orphanage (who are like family).

And we said hello to our new family. Being reunited with our family at the airport was just pure joy.

We are so glad to be turning the pages on this new chapter of our family's history. We have been home for two weeks (as of today) and things are going really well. Praising God for all that He has done to weave our family together across the miles.

He is amazing. I am so thankful that He is faithful to complete His good works.

3 comments:

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

Love the last picture of you all together! Looking forward to meeting Biruk someday! Miss you

M said...

The best news ever. I share in your joy. I can't say how happy I am for your family. I was checking everyday for word that you brought your son home & I am super glad to see that your family is complete now the Biruk is home. God Bless you & your family. Thanks for taking us along on the journey. Tight Hugs!! From Michelle in New Jersey.

Gene & Mary said...

Hello! You don't know me, but I was just surfing tonight to find anyone who might be traveling to Kolfe soon, so I could send a package. Now I'm caught up in your story, and can tell I'll have to read it all tomorrow! I'm excited to hear Biruk has been adopted by you! What a dream come true for both of you. I think I recognize him from other photos I've seen. One young Kolfe man with the beginning of a happy ending... and beginning. God bless your family as you learn to live and love together here!
Mary in Arizona