Friday, April 27, 2012

In Summary, It's Going Great

I’ll admit it; I have been avoiding this post. I think I keep waiting for something juicy to post about. However, the juiciest thing I can tell you is that things are going incredibly awesome. I hate being so positive, but it’s true. Everything’s going really well. Boringly well. Blissfully well.

I will take a step back and tell you that he’s been home for 3 1/2 weeks. Whenever I read blogs of families who have adopted older kids, I tell myself that the first 3 months are the honeymoon phase – I basically dismiss posts until they’ve been home for 3 months. So feel free to check back here in 2 months, I may be bald from pulling my hair out by then – only time will tell. All I can share is what we’ve experienced over the last month – it comes with no guarantees for the future.

We firmly believe that our family was weaved together by God. Before the beginning of time, God knew that Biruk was our son, He knew that we were his parents…it was just a matter of time. At the end of our process, I looked at Dirt and told him, if only God had told me 2 years ago that March 29, 2012 would be the day we cleared embassy - it would have saved me from a lot of heartache and tears! But God doesn’t work that way; He isn’t concerned with keeping us from heartache. As my musician friend, Stuart Young, would say, “there is beauty found in the broke heart”. There is also a deeply satisfying fellowship with God that is found during those broken times. As emotionally difficult as our adoption journey was, I’m thankful for it. I’m also immensely thankful to be on this side of it. Immensely thankful.

Which reminds me…the craziest thing keeps happening. People keep saying “what a great thing you’re doing”, or “what an amazing person you are”. The first time it happened, I was talking to the receptionist at the doctor’s office – I responded to her with a totally perplexed expression. I literally had no idea what she was talking about – Lady, all I did was jot down my new insurance information – it’s not all that. …but then it dawned on me – she thought I was “so great” because I had adopted B. Um, seriously? What a lack of understanding. I am the one who is totally blessed to have been given such an amazing child. We are so utterly blessed by God to be his parents. When you pray for something so fervently, every day, and you cry over it because you want it so bad, and you wait and wait for it until the waiting feels utterly unbearable…the very last thing you are thinking when you finally get it, is, “Wow, I’m an awesome person because I finally got what I have been desperately wanting for the last three years”.

Adoption is good, but it’s Gods. He makes families, he weaves them together taking threads from the ends of the earth and it’s the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. He is the author of every adoption, including His adoption of those who call him Father, through the blood of Jesus Christ. If it weren’t for Him, none of this would be possible. So if I’m awesome for my prayers being answered, how much more awesome is the mighty God who answered those prayers, and put them in my heart to begin with.


3 comments:

Sha Zam- said...

Love this. So good to see you on this side. ;-)

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

love the last paragraph especially :-)

Deb Makowicz said...

Thanks, Erin, for updating this blog. I have loved reading and following the journey, laughed alot (thanks) and felt the heartache. Keeping y'all in my prayers.